Recognized by Best Lawyers in the categories of “Nonprofit/ Charities Law” and “Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships),” and more recently recognized as the 2024 Lawyer of the Year in the category of Business Organizations in the market he serves, Clay M. Grayson has built a law firm dedicated to provide external general and special counsel services to nonprofit organizations.
Clay has extensive experience in federal taxation of exempt organizations, not-for-profit corporate governance, public private partnerships, executive compensation, unrelated business income tax, excess benefit transactions, charitable and planned giving, and joint ventures. A significant amount of his practice is dedicated to foundations that support universities, colleges, and schools, including endowment foundations, research foundations, real estate foundations, alumni associations, and athletic booster clubs.
In addition to his J.D., Clay has a Masters in International Business Studies from the University of South Carolina, and an L.L.M. in Taxation from New York University. Prior to the practice of law, Mr. Grayson worked in the marketing department of the Italian subsidiary of Merck pharmaceuticals, where he assisted in the launch of new products in Europe.
- South Carolina
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- LL.M., New York University
- J.D., University of South Carolina
- Master in International Business Studies, University of South Carolina
- Certificate, Bocconi, Milan, Italy (Italian/European Business, S.D.A.)
- B.A., College of Charleston (with honors)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as “Lawyer of the Year 2024” in the category of Business Organizations for the Charleston, SC market
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in “Nonprofit/ Charities Law” and “Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships),” 2017-2024
- Selected for Charleston Regional Business Journal’s “Forty Under 40,” 2012
- Named as one of “The Rising Stars” by South Carolina Super Lawyers magazine, 2012 – 2014
- Member of Leadership Charleston, Class of 2008
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Hollings Cancer Center Advisory Citizens Council, Member
- SC Planned Giving Council, Director
- Charleston Jazz, Director and Secretary
- Charleston Tax Council, Member
- Together SC, formerly known as South Carolina Association of Nonprofit Organizations – pro bono general counsel, volunteer, past Board member.